Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New York: Part 1--Brown Cafe

Finally, I have enough energy to start my New York series of entries. So here I go.
My first day in NYC is a hot, sultry one, and it's only May 11th. The woman who owns the apartment I'm staying in is so organized and thoughtful as to leave an entire notebook of favorite neighborhood restaurants, so after a cursory perusal, my friends and I decide on Brown Cafe. It's nearby, the menu looks good, and it's not expensive. Perfect. So we head out.


After consulting maps and an accompanying sister who temporarily resides in New Jersey, we arrive at our destination: Brown Cafe.

All the outdoor tables are full, so we reluctantly plant ourselves inside in a table by the door, hoping that we'll catch a breeze and maybe be able to cool off. Not in my case, though. My seat is by the window, so the sun beats down on me, and I soon melt into an ever-increasing puddle of sweat. Oh well. Margaret's sister Diane (the New Jersey sister) suffers the same fate. Now on to the food.

I ordered a wild boar sausage sandwich, for around $9.00. Not bad. Not bad at all. It was on nice crusty bread, and included caramelized onions and roasted bell peppers, and was accompanied by a nice, although standard, salad of baby greens. I stuffed the salad inside my sandwich. That was a good idea. It was a good sandwich, but the flavor of the boar sausage didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Diane and Ingrid both ordered the same salad, which was composed of arugula (and possibly spinach, I don't remember), dried cranberries, and gorgonzola dolce (a younger, milder gorgonzola). They both seemed happy with their selection, and I tasted it too--it was an excellent salad.

Two more items were ordered: Ingrid had an iced tea--minty and refreshing, and Margaret ordered a tuna sandwich. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of her sandwich, but it was on crusty bread like mine, and had a big chunk of fish in the middle (not the mayonnaisey mess you were thinking of). It was excellent, possibly better than my sandwich, and was also accompanied by a baby greens salad.

So here are the vital stats:

61 Hester Street, NY, NY 10002, near Ludlow

212.477.2427

A website with a good overview of the restaurant is:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/brown-cafe/

No comments: