Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Sunday, May 20, 2007

23Hoyt=My Margarita Recipe

I know, I know, you're all waiting for my New York reviews, and I promise I will write them, but I thought I would ease back into the blog with something a little less ambitious. So here goes:





Last night, I went to a restaurant down the street from where I live called 23Hoyt. I had been wanting to go there for quite awhile, especially since my neighbor Joe had said that he had taken a hot date there. If Joe can go there, so can I! Well anyway, it is owned and run by the same gang that is responsible for such hits as Saucebox and Blue Hour (both highly recommended). I ended up only having a drink, but glancing at their cocktail list, I noticed something funny. Their description for their margarita is pretty much exactly the same as the way I make mine. Same brand of tequila, same brand of orange liqueur. Odd. So who thought of it first, me or them? Maybe I should become a mixologist in my spare time. I didn't actually try the margarita, since I figured it would taste the same as mine (which is the best margarita I've ever had, by the way). I ordered a Zefiro Martini, which consists of gin and brandy and is garnished with caper berries. It was excellent. Caper berries are always a refreshing touch. Even though I only tried one item there, I give the place two enthusiastic thumbs up. Good drinks, excellent supercool atmosphere. Oh yeah, and the bartender was superhot too. Always a bonus. I will come back again and actually try the food, and write a more complete review. For now, however, I would like to impart to you my margarita recipe:
23Hoyt/Laura Margarita
1 1/2 ounces Sauza Hornitos tequila
1 ounce Patron Citronage Liqueur
Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
Combine all and serve on the rocks.
Here are the vital stats:
529 NW 23rd at Hoyt
503.445.7400

No comments: