Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Monday, June 4, 2007

New York-Part 2: Cucina Italiana Paprika

I didn't forget about my blog, I just have been very busy lately with a variety of things--work, socializing, being very tired from socializing--I guess that covers it, but it is surprising how much time that takes up. If this post is a little rough around the edges, I apologize, I spent all day at jury duty, which is very draining. Anyway, on to the food.

Our second night in New York, we were wandering around the East Village in the hours approaching dinner. We weren't sure what we wanted, but apparently we had each individually noticed a cute little Italian restaurant called Paprika, but not mentioned it to each other. After some successful shopping, hunger overtook us, and we started looking for a good place for dinner. Eventually, we made our way back to the street we had started on, and there was Paprika. All of us simultaneously said something like "Oh! I like this place." (Sorry, that description was a little lame. Anyway.) So we went in.

It was cozy, a little dim, and perfect. A family was seated next to us, and I immediately noticed that the older half of the group was German. I always find that exciting (I studied German for over 10 years). The german couple asked us to take their picture, so I did the honors, and then asked if they would be so kind as to take our picture in return. The result, shown at the top, is a bit blurry, but everyone looks happy.

Now, really, the food. I ordered a French beer which was probably the best beer I've ever had. Unfortunately, I forgot what it was called. How unprofessional! We ordered Insalata Mista con Mele to share, and in an unusual and thoughtful twist, the chef actually divided onto three plates for us, each with a large shaving of parmesan cheese on top. It was quite good, consisting of mixed greens (duh), sliced apple, the aforementioned parmesan, and was lightly dressed with a touch of olive oil and honey. Here it is, in all its glory:


Next, our entrees. Margaret and I ordered specials. Margaret chose a black linguine sauced with tomatoes and shrimp. The black color of the pasta is derived from squid ink. The pasta itself had a slightly firmer texture than most (firm, but, I must clarify, NOT due to undercooking). Could it be from the squid ink? Maybe, I don't know, but it seemed possible. I think she ordered the tastiest dish out of the three of us, the sauce was very flavorful, but light. Here it is, but, unfortunately, the photo is blurry. Sorry.


I ordered papparadelle in a veal ragu with broccoli rabe. It was good and was what I expected, but not what I hoped for, if that makes any sense. Wide ribbons of noodles in a tomato-based sauce with ground veal, diced carrots, and broccoli rabe. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that broccoli-like vegetable go very well in tomato sauces. But it's done all the time. It must just be my problem. Still, even though it was not my favorite, it was well-prepared.




Ingrid, that rebel, didn't order pasta, she ordered Pollo alla Milanese con Arugula e Pomodori--a chicken cutlet. Standard chicken cutlet, breaded and fried, but done properly like everything we ordered, it was still tender and juicy inside. The cutlet was accompanied with fresh arugula and tomatoes. Simple. Good.

Ah dessert. We couldn't order just one. First, we ordered panna cotta with a light, thin, not-too-sweet sauce that we couldn't quite place. What was it? We asked the waitress, and the mystery sauce was...fig. Oh, yes, I taste fig now. Why didn't I think of it? It was a very light dessert, perfect really, but shared between three young ladies, didn't go too far. So we ordered another dessert, a classic, tiramisu. Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, we couldn't finish it. Oh well. Good, standard, but didn't blow my mind. I'm sure you've all had tiramisu, so I won't go into detail. Here are the photos:
















Friendly atmosphere, a tiny but commanding waitress, relatively low prices, and well-prepared food. If you're in the East Village, go there. Here's all the pertinent information:

Cucina Italian Paprika
110 St. Mark's Place
Between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
New York, New York
212.677.6563
www.paprikarestaurant.com/

Earlier that evening, as we were walking and walking in the East Village, I noticed a funny little shop that I had to take pictures of. It was an entire "restaurant" of vending machines. And, it was all pink. Weird. And, for whatever reason, it smelled strongly of fresh donuts. I have no idea why. Supposedly, this type of thing is popular in Japan, but don't hold me to that. Take a look:


I just wanted to mention this since it was so funny. That's all for today.






No comments: