Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Friday, November 14, 2008

The Pearl's New Gourmet Grocery Store: Safeway???

No, that wasn't a mistake. Safeway has entered the Pearl. But it is unlike any Safeway I've ever seen before: it's Safeway shi-shied to the nth degree.
The Pearl District is quite possibly Portland's fanciest urban neighborhood, and for years the only grocery store in situ was Whole Foods. Fancy store, fancy prices. But hey, you have to have a pretty fancy wallet to live in this neighborhood, so it all made sense.
But now Safeway has entered the picture. And although it still has all the regular Safeway stuff, such as sales, double coupons, etc, it also has special features to compete with Whole Foods:
  • A self-serve hot food bar, just like Whole Foods (different contents, though), for the lunch-time crowd.
  • A special fancy wall of mushrooms, at least 10 different kinds.
  • Beautiful, glistening doughnuts, plump with custard housed in a vaguely Italianate bakery.
  • Most astonishing of all, a gelato bar!
Yes, you did not misread that. Apparently three gelaterias just weren't enough for the neighborhood, so Safeway got in the game too.
I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the aesthetics of the place.

I bought a box of Satsumas: only $2.99 with my Safeway club card!
Some things never change.

No comments: