Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Waffles--Throwback Edition

A couple of years ago, I posted a recipe for oatmeal waffles, which I quite enjoyed and thought was an unusual (and healthy-ish!) version of the this homey breakfast treat. I made them again last weekend, but added a little vanilla to the batter, and topped them with stewed peaches and Brown Cow Maple Cream Top yogurt (my favorite). We gobbled them down before I thought of taking a photo, but here's a recipe for the stewed peaches, courtesy of The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook:

Stewed Peaches
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
4 whole cloves (I didn't have any, so I just sprinkled in a little ground cloves)
1 1/2 pounds peaches, chopped into chunks

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar, water, and cloves to boiling.
2. Add peaches; return to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.

Best waffle combination I had in ages!

No comments: