Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Waffles--The Next Big Thing

Cupcakes are so last year. My prediction for the next food fad: waffles. Yup. Waffles.
A waffle shop, complete with happy hour just opened up in SE Portland, and I think it's the harbinger of trends to come. I haven't actually been there yet, but click here if you want to check out their website: Jace Gace.
I made waffles this morning (photo above), and decided to try out a new recipe: oatmeal waffles. They were delicious, and different from the usual waffle: very delicate, crispy outside, soft like a bowl of oatmeal on the inside.
Here's the recipe:

Oatmeal Waffles
1 egg, separated, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled

Beat egg white in a small bowl until stiff and set aside. Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside. Combine egg yolk, milk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, mixing only until large lumps disappear. Fold in beaten egg white until just blended. Do not over beat batter.

My Notes: Batter will look runny and wrong, but trust it, it works. Also, I added a drop of vanilla, because I roll that way. Finally, when they are ready, tip them out of waffle iron onto plate, don't try to pick them up. They are very delicate and will break.

--From the VillaWare Uno Series waffle maker instruction manual. (Yes, really.)

3 comments:

Sunny said...

This sounds good. I may have to make some and freeze them. Sounds like a great way to get my family to eat heart-healthy oatmeal.

Liz said...

Have you been to the Waffle Window on Hawthorne? It's amazing!! I know some people who went, and some other people who went and then I went. I think you're right. It's a trend!!

Laura said...

Oooh, Waffle Window? Where is it?