Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Barbur World Foods

Believe it or not, I'm back on Syrian breakfast. That's right, even though I was so tired of it after my trip, I ate that this morning. But maybe it was OK because it was on my own terms, rather than being the only option.
What precipitated this?

Yesterday, as I was driving up Barbur on my way home, I noticed a big grocery store with an enticing name: "Barbur World Foods." Sounds like my kind of place. And, it was.

It's kind of like a mini version of the huge Quebecois Lebanese grocery store, Adonis. It's big, it has all the regular stuff one would find at a typical grocery store, but additionally has tons of imported stuff, predominantly from the Mediterranean. The deli has a decidedly Middle-Eastern flavor: instead of potato salad and Jello-mysteries, there are stuffed peppers, stuffed squash, grape leaves, hummus...you get the idea. The sweets tend towards baklava, Syrian rice pudding, and an assortment of Armenian pastries from Ararat Bakery in SE. Planning on putting on a Syrian dinner? Go there. Very nice produce, and the cheapest Haloumi cheese in town (seriously).
My breakfast this morning: Syrian bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, hummus, Kashkaval cheese, Haloumi cheese, and a peach (a VERY good, sweet white peach). And coffee, of course.


9845 SW Barbur Blvd
Portland, Oregon 97219
Phone: (503) 244-0670
http://www.barburworldfoods.com/index.htm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my new neighborhood grocery store! But I guess you knew that. What you might not have known is that it's owned by the same guy who owns Ya Halla.

Marviab,

-a.

Emily said...

I love Barbur World foods! The fresh baked pitas with fresh hummus and baba ganoush is amazing and incredibly cheap ($.50 for a pita)!

MyChefParty.com said...

All of the Chefs that teach in home cooking classes for MyChefParty RAVE about Barbur World Foods. I think they have sent a lot of hungry people to the aisles for ingrediants to prepare Gourment food.