Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Monday, January 14, 2008

The Random Update: Clyde the Glide

So sorry, I haven't posted in nearly a month, but honestly, three things have been going on to prevent this: 1) I've been damn busy with a bunch of random things, 2) I haven't been cooking or going out much, and 3) what dining I have done has not been accompanied by my trusty digital camera.
But here's what I've tried that is of note: Clyde Common.
I first went there for happy hour on my birthday. The atmosphere was good, but I didn't really have much opportunity to try the food as I was expected to make an appearance at dinner elsewhere.
Since then (November 1st, for those of you keeping track), I've been there probably four or five times. Apparently, it's my new favorite restaurant. Happy hour, dinner, late night, you name it: it never disappoints.
Their menu changes weekly, but favorites (such as poutine) reappear, rotating back in on occasion.
I tried one rendition of the "Smoked Board" which was particularly tasty: smoked oysters, a delicate little mound of potato salad (a world away from the yellow-tinted grocery-store goo), something else that I have since forgotten, and a shot of aquavit. I tell you, I almost felt Scandinavian!
The last time I went, we decided to have our dinner consist of several appetizers, as a way of conserving funds. Clyde Common is on the spendy side, in case you hadn't figured that out yet. So we ordered a little skewered, grilled quail on a bed of caramelized shallots; a shaved fennel salad topped with some sort of pecorino, and the illustrious poutine. Poutine in a French-Canadian specialty, normally the stuff of fast food, comprised of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. Yes, it sounds like a mess. But yes, it is delicious, even in the fast food rendition. But Clyde Common took it to a whole other level. Instead of ordinary cheese curds, it was topped with Gruyere; the gravy was translucent and rich; and to top it all off, it was topped with a couple of slivers of foie gras. Yes, I know foie gras is controversial. But damn! Is it ever good. So that is $12 poutine, ladies and gentlemen.
I've tried two desserts: a flourless chocolate cake, and crepes filled with caramelized apples, topped with something similar to granola and caramel-swirled vanilla ice cream. Both were good, but did not stand out as the savory items did.
The drinks here, however, are great. Two of note are the Anemic Mary (a bloody mary made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes, resulting in a green drink, rather than the traditional red), and the whiskey ginger, my favorite. Maker's Mark (my favorite whiskey) mixed with a little ginger beer and cinnamon-infused syrup results in a drink that is balanced and spicy; not nearly as sweet as one would imagine.
But what about the atmosphere, you ask? Excellent, at least for my taste. The main floor has several communal tables, encouraging conviviality among patrons. It is warmly lit, all hardwoods and white walls, and an open kitchen lets you know where the action really lies. Upstairs, there is additional seating in a dimly lit mezzanine. It's nice, but somehow all the sound accumulates up there, so it's very difficult to carry on a conversation without shouting. The photo below really doesn't do the place justice. It's really much cozier than that.

Clyde Common
503.228.3333
SW 10th and Stark
Portland, OR
http://www.clydecommon.com/

No comments: