Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ken's Artisan Pizza

Over the weekend, I finally tried Ken's Artisan Pizza. By now, you all know how much I rave about the bakery (yet have never written a review about it; I promise it will happen someday); well, the pizza definitely follows in the bakery's delicious footsteps.

It was a beautiful, perfect really, autumn evening. I had just finished watching the swifts descend into the chimney at Wallace Park; it was time for dinner. Knowing that Ken's Pizza is extremely popular, I called and tried to make a reservation. No, they don't take reservations. How long is the wait? About an hour. Oh. We'll try anyway, and use La Buca as a backup if we get too hungry and can't wait.

We arrive, there is a line waiting, but really, it's not too bad. We put our name on the list. How long is the wait? The hostess confirms, yes, one hour indeed. Hmm. But as we deliberate, a couple seats open up at the bar. We swoop down on them, happy to be seated after only three minutes, rather than the predicted hour. I even knew the bartender. We met in Italy, of all places. How fitting is that?

Bruno and I start off with a green salad. Good, but not especially exciting. Just greens and cucumbers in a vinaigrette. It does the job. But the main event? Excellent!

We ordered pizza with prosciutto. All of the pizza varieties here are pretty simple: never more than maybe two toppings in addition to the standard sauce and cheese. Ours was topped with prosciutto and a sprinkling of basil. The crust was thin, well-bubbled, and floppy, with a few charred spots, but they only added to the overall flavor. Pizzas here are baked in a 700 degree wood-fired oven. Charring is natural and welcomed.

The prosciutto appeared to have been added a little later in the baking process: it was still soft rather than the frazzled slivers I was anticipating. The cheese was fresh and delicious, and the sauce was thin, yet chunky. Overall, a perfectly balanced pizza, and very similar to those I ate in Italy. Buon Appetito! (I think that's right?)

We ordered dessert. After pizza, something heavy just wouldn't be right; we ordered milk chocolate ice cream topped with hazelnuts, fresh raspberries, and cream. It was a perfect finish: sweet, but not heavy. What made it even sweeter: we didn't get charged for it. Yay! Free dessert.
The verdict? Two enthusiastic thumbs up. My vote for favorite "fancy" pizza in Portland.


Ken's Artisan Pizza
304 SE 28th
Portland, OR 97209
503.517.9951
Hours: Tues-Sat 5 pm-10 pm
http://www.kensartisan.com/pizza.html


No comments: