Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hood to Coast to Safeway to Fred Meyer to Trader Joe's


I am exhausted right now. I volunteered to volunteer for my company's Hood to Coast team, and am also responsible for the barbeque afterwards. I'm actually pretty excited about it; I love event planning, but at the same time, it can be quite draining. So I planned out the menu, thinking, "oh, this will be easy, I'll just get a bunch of catered stuff: salads, pies, etc. etc." But then I started realizing how much it would all cost, and although I didn't technically have a budget, out-of-control menu costs probably wouldn't go over too well. This is a barbeque, after all, not a night out at Saucebox.
So I revised. Here is my present (and final, as I've finished all the shopping) menu:
  • Baked Salmon
  • Homemade! Potato salad (more on that later)
  • Pesto Pasta (homegrown basil)
  • Green salad
  • Cava
  • Beer, Beer, and more Beer
  • Cherry and Apple pies
  • Cheesecake
  • Hansens soda, sparkling water
  • Potato and tortilla chips
  • Watermelon
  • Grapes
Shopping is much more exhausting than I expected: I've been to some of the stores 3 times, either because one thing I need was on sale one day, and another was on sale the next; or because I just plain forgot something, dammit!
The photo above is the early stages of my potato salad. It has now reached completion, but I am too tired to photograph it and discuss everything tonight. But this is probably my biggest event-planning feat yet. So it seems important to blog it. Yeah, I've planned for 15+ people before, but I've not ever had to actually cook for them. So we will see how it goes. More tomorrow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pictured:
Potato salad test batch #136