Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Contributor

Photo above was taken our first night in Dubrovnik, September 12, 2010 enjoying octopus salad, steamed mussels, and Croatian wine at a restaurant that, I will fully admit, Rick Steves recommended. Dubrovnik was lovely.

I sort of forgot about this blog, even though people actually read it. Apparently, the last time I wrote was in April. But now, hopefully, it will be updated more often, because it will have a second contributor: my boyfriend Derek.
Derek is a renowned eater, and, more recently, cook. He has always loved to eat, but never really cooked anything of substance until approximately 2 years ago (I believe his first adventurous recipe was Sukiyaki), but now he cooks ambitious recipes from all over the world nearly every day, and takes pictures of EVERY SINGLE THING HE COOKS.  But up until this point, the food photos stayed mainly on his iPhone, with the rare posting to Facebook. What a waste. So I came up with the brilliant idea that he should become a co-contributor to Kitchen Kat and resuscitate this dying blog, while simultaneously providing a venue for exhibiting his daily cooking photos. This is very exciting!
Another element to add to the excitement is that we started this project, challenge, adventure, whatever you want to call it, where we cook our way around the world: each night (or two if we feel particularly inspired by the cuisine) we cook dishes from a particular country, in a mostly linear progression around the globe. We started in Italy, I believe, and last night made it to Russia with a fantastic beef stroganoff, Olivier Salad, and Soviet Cocktails made with Russian Vodka, naturally. 
Here is the recipe for a Soviet, courtesy of the Mr. Boston Platinum Edition Drink Mixing Guide (the best and most comprehensive cocktail book, in my opinion):
                       1 1/2 oz. Vodka
                       1/2 oz. Amontillado Sherry
                       1/2 oz Dry Vermouth
                       Shake with ice and strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Add a twist of lemon peel.

So please welcome Derek, and I hope you enjoy his posts!

No comments: