Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Señor Cutie Cooks!

Derek recently discovered the fun of cooking! I am very excited about this, since I love cooking.
When we were in Mexico, he bought a huge cookbook [in Spanish] full of a million taco recipes. And thus began his cooking adventure.

His first foray was last weekend, when he made two different kinds of pork tacos: carnitas, and one in an orange juice-based sauce. Both were quite good, so he gained confidence, and said he wanted to make dinner again. Fine with me!

Last night, our dinner ventured into German territory, with Derek deciding on a menu of sauerkraut and pork stew and German potato salad. Holy moly! Both turned out super good, but the potato salad was amazing. It was so much fun: we watched the Blazer game, listened to a little Falco (due to the menu), cooked, and drank German and Czech beer. Or rather, I did a little food prep, and Derek cooked. He described the evening as "Fun and Relaxing." He looked happy; I was happy too. Dinner was delicious, we had fun, and I'm looking forward to his next dinner. Maybe I'll even remember to photograph the results.

No comments: