Welcome to Kitchen Kat!

I love writing. I love food. Those are two interests that have stayed constant throughout my life. So why not combine the two? Perfect! Trying out different food is like almost like traveling; you get to experience different smells, tastes, and atmospheres. It brings a bit of the culture to you, even if you didn't leave your home. This blog explores Portland restaurants (plus any notable ones I encounter on vacation), recipes that worked out exceptionally for me, plus any other epicurean delights that come my way. Put any reservations aside, now it's time to chow down on some food for thought....

Monday, January 5, 2009

Sel Gris

Friday evening I met up with Ingrid for coffee at the Albina Press on Hawthorne, and as we lingered, we realized we were both hungry. Neither one of us had been out to a nice dinner in ages, and decided to try somewhere new: Sel Gris, about a mile down Hawthorne near Ladd's Addition.
It was the right choice.
We both started off with champagne cocktails composed of champagne (duh), lavender syrup, some sort of orange liqueur, and garnished with an orange twist. One of the most delightful cocktails I've had in quite a while.
Next up was "Salt and Pepper" Calamari: lightly fried and sauteed calamari, scallions, preserved lemon, leeks, Thai basil, chilies, and housemade nuoc cham. The preserved lemon added an unexpected bright tang to the calamari, and they gave us a huge amount for an appetizer--probably enough for four people. We couldn't finish it. A pity.
On to the entrees: Ingrid had the ginger beer braised pork shank, accompanied with thyme-infused pumpkin puree, savory pecan praline, and pumpkin seed oil. She gave me a bite, and it was excellent, but I think I enjoyed my choice even more.
I ordered szechuan peppercorn pressed peking duck breast and braised duck leg, accompanied by baby bok choy, and forbidden black rice in a lapsang souchong infusion. Wow. The duck breast tasted like steak. I've had duck before, but never like this. It was amazing.
That was all. Neither one of us could finish our entrees, so we brought them home. Obviously, we couldn't handle dessert. But our bill came with two little chocolate truffles topped with--you guessed it--fleur de sel. A nice little sweet touch at the end.
Highly recommended.
Sel Gris
1852 se hawthorne portland, or. 97214
(503) 517.7770

No comments: